A dilation and curettage procedure, also known as D & C, is a surgical procedure in which the cervix (the narrow, lower part of the uterus) is dilated (expanded) so that abnormal tissues can be scraped with a curette (a spoon-shaped instrument).
The procedure is carried out for a number of reasons. Some of these include diagnosing uterine conditions, treating uterine conditions, and clearing the uterine lining after an abortion or miscarriage. For treatment or further details, book an appointment with Dr. Deepika Doshi for D and C procedure in Borivali.
D and C Types
There are several types of D&C procedures available, depending on whether your doctor is trying to diagnose or treat a condition.
D & C for diagnosis. This type of dilation and curettage procedure is used to diagnose a condition such as abnormal or excessive uterine bleeding (due to fibroids, cancers, or hormonal disturbances), to detect cancer, or as part of an investigation into infertility (inability to become pregnant).
D&C for therapeutic purposes, This dilation and curettage procedure is used to treat conditions caused by an abortion, miscarriage, or delivery, as well as to treat benign tumours or polyps in the uterus.
What should I do to prepare for a D and C?
On the day of the surgery, you should have an empty stomach.
How is a D & C performed?
The dilation and curettage procedure, in general, involves opening up or dilating the cervix with medication or instruments. The uterine tissue is then surgically removed using suction or a curette-like instrument.
Endometrial sampling, therapeutic dilation and curettages, on the other hand, differ. To perform this test, your doctor takes a tissue sample from your endometrium (uterine lining) and sends it to a histopathology lab for analysis. The test can look for the following things:
Cancer of the uterus, Endometrial hyperplasia is a precancerous condition in which the uterine lining thickens and Polyps in the uterus.
The procedure may be combined with a hysteroscopy, which allows the doctor to view and examine the uterine lining on a screen for any abnormalities.
What symptoms are treated with a D & C procedure?
- If you have any of the following signs, symptoms, or conditions, your doctor may advise you to undergo a dilation and curettage procedure. The specific procedure chosen is determined by whether it is required for diagnosis or treatment.
- If you have bleeding after menopause, your doctor may recommend a D and C for endometrial sampling.
- In a cervical cancer screening, abnormal endometrial cells were noticed.
- You are experiencing abnormal uterine bleeding.
- Your doctor may advise you to undergo therapeutic dilation and curettage:
- To clear the uterus of tissues and protect it from infection and bleeding post-miscarriage or abortion
- In cases where a tumour develops in place of a normal foetus [molar pregnancy],
- To remove the placenta in the aftermath of heavy postpartum bleeding, or to remove benign uterine or cervical polyps
What is the Recovery time?
Recovery time varies by patient, but it is common to rest for 2-3 days following surgery. After that, you should be able to resume your normal activities. You may also be instructed to take medications for your pain and discomfort.
For treatment or further details, book an appointment with Dr. Deepika Doshi for D and C procedure in Borivali.